Treasures of pre-cinema history
The magic lantern
Unknown workshops, Nürnberg
Nuremberg is one of the first places in Germany where magic lanterns have been made since 1671, when Griendl von Ach founded a workshop for scientific instruments. Still, the heydays of the magic lantern laid a century ahead.
Not for professional use as in the past, rather than as a toy magic lantern. The story how the toy lantern appeared on the market can be read in detail in an essay: http://www.magiclantern.org.uk/the-magic-lantern/pdfs/4009617a.pdf
The Rose workshop was the leading workshop with the highest output of toy-magic lanterns in the late 18th century. The workshop was founded around 1780 by Johann Friedrich Rose, the sieved child of the pastor Johann Christian Rose and his wife Barbara in Leineburg. Probably with the foundation of the workshop, Rose supplied the Berlin toy-dealer Peter Friedrich Catel and later in 1792 the new founded businesses of Georg Hieronimus Bestelmeier in Nuremberg. But Rose was not the only workshop for magic lanterns before 1800 in Nuremberg. Long established mechanic-workshops like Johann Conrad Gütle, Heinrich Marcus Brunner or Wilhelm Burucker tried to duplicate the successful business model of Bestelmeier in the early 1790th. All three workshops failed within a short time, as the owners had not understand the "modern structure" of Bestelmeier’s business, making and distribution was no longer in one hand. Magic lanterns and slides were part of their manufactured goods. This is most certainly in the case for Wilhelm Burucker, the painting-style of his slides differs very much from the Rose-workshop. You can compare slides from both workshops in each gallery. No details of the magic lantern production of Gütle and Brunner are known. The listed slides in this gallery can be dated from the early days of the modern toy industry before or around 1800, however the workshops could not be identified.